A bulletproof vest is a personal item used to protect one against bullets and is usually worn on the torso. These jackets are flexible as it permits free movement of the person wearing it while giving adequate protection against bullets, fragments from shells, etc. This type of body armors are made in USA with complete durability, performance and comfort while offering the safety and security of the people. Americans in the Armed Forces have been dependent on these vests since 1970s from protection against attack with guns.
Bulletproof vests in USA consist of sheets of advanced synthetic polymers that is composed of many layers of synthetic fibre of high tensile strength. The panel is placed inside a fabric shell which is in general made from a cotton or nylon blend. These fibres in the vests discover the bullet and stop it from entering the body to avoid any serious injury. A bulletproof vests in USA resists a bullet in the similar manner as a net resists a ball. The ball loses its energy and retards as it passes through the layers of fiber.
How long do the vests last?
The bulletproof vests in USA have standard National Institute of Justice rating of 5 years i.e. the average duration for which they last is five years. However, the durability also depends upon how they are used and how frequently they are used.
Where to buy bulletproof vests?
The bullet proof vest should be bought form safe and legal organizations. A bulletproof vest seller must issue a warranty card for the vests. The bulletproof vests manufacturing company should know the purpose of such vests and design the vests accordingly. The manufacturers should be well aware of the different professions and purposes for which people buy body armors. They should design the vests accordingly. Go here for types of body armor and bulletproof vest available.
Types of bulletproof vests:
The bullet-proof vests which are meant for warmer environment have a cool inner lining. There are other vests which are made of hard materials and even metals which do not have such provisions. Some bullet proof vests are meant for wearing outside the normal garments.
Before buying bulletproof vests in USA the following things should be kept in mind:
- A bullet-proof vest is not strong enough to resist knife attacks. It is just capable of preventing bullets.
- Again, it just can’t always prevent the bullets from piercing the body. It minimizes the effect of the bullets. It often happens that someone is wearing a bulletproof jacket and gets hit by a bullet. The bullet in this case hits causes an injury but the injury is not deep enough to cause death.
- You will have to treat a bulletproof vest like a garment and take proper care of it. It should not absorb much water. In that case, it loses its properties.
- While wearing bulletproof vests in USA, the ballistic panels must be kept in a right way. In doing so, the strike face is properly oriented to resist the bullet.
- It costs around $200-$500 and lasts for about 5 years.
Utilities of bulletproof vests:
- Bulletproof vests protect people from ballistic threats i.e. threats faced from both high and low frequency bullets.
- Bulletproof vests may not provide guaranteed prevention from bullet attacks but you can be sure that at least you will survive the attack even if you are injured.
- Bulletproof vests protect not only in case of gun attacks but also vehicle accidents.
- Bulletproof vests prevents from other attacks and hits of lower degree also. However, it can’t resist knife attacks.
How do the bulletproof vests protect people from bullets?
A bulletproof vest may sometimes have nylon padding for double protection. They are then secured with straps of elastic having metallic buckles. However, because of too much of layering, it might be quite heavy and inflexible for proper mobility and functioning. USA made bulletproof vests undergo various tests for measuring the quality control feature. The fibre manufacturers test the fibre and the tensile strength of the material. These vests also undergo testing of protection which is required according to the National Institute of Justice (NIJ).
Who can wear a bulletproof vest?
Being a resident of the US, one has the right to own a bulletproof vest in USA and use it to protect oneself. However, if a person previously convicted or has been convicted with a vicious crime shall not be allowed to buy or wear a bulletproof vest according to the laws of the USA. Many states in the US even have penalties for purchase and use of bulletproof vests by people convicted with heinous crimes. In some other states, possession is not denied but trial is denied. But in most of the states in the US, purchase and usage of these vests is usually not denied or prohibited for people not convicted with any crime.
A bulletproof vest in USA must satisfy the following criteria:
- It should be perfectly sized according to the body.
- It should not lose its natural properties even after daily use and wash since for many people, their profession requires them to wear it every day.
- It should be affordable not only by high-class officials but also by normal security personnel.
- It should be comfortable and should not suffocate the person who is wearing it.
- It should extend only upto the belly button and never extend below the naval region.
- It should have Velcro straps to adjust itself to the different body sizes.
For overall protection, ballistic helmets should be used along with the bullet-proof vests. Bullet-proof vests can be used in order to protect a person from any kind of attacks through bullets and any one can use it in case of ballistic threats.